DSD Business Systems
MAS 90/ MAS 200 White Paper
DE6 / DE9 / DE9c / California Quarterly Unemployment Filing
The following DSD White Paper explains the 2011 changes to filing of California EDD Quarterly Unemployment, and how it relates to DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting.
The following are presented in this White Paper:
- What are DE6, DE9 and DE9C filings?
- How does DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting fulfill these filings in MAS90 | MAS 200?
- What format is the MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting in?
- How do I setup an online account with the EDD?
- How do I generate the upload file using DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting?
- How do I upload the file to the EDD website?
- How do I contact the EDD for assistance?
What are DE6, DE9 and DE9C filings?
DE6: The California DE6 Form, Quarterly Wage and Withholding Report, is a required report to be filed by California employers. Business owners report individual employee’s wages and personal income tax (PIT) withholdings. This form is used for filing for years 2010 and prior. To view a copy of this form, select this link: http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de6.pdf
When filling out this form, you submit Company and Employee information on one form.
If you have 250 employees or more, you may not use this form, but must instead file electronically.
DE9 and DE9C: Starting in 2011, the DE9 and DE9C forms replace the DE6 form. Basically, they broke up the DE6 form into 2 forms: The DE9 is the Company information, and the DE9C is the Employee information.
To view copies of these forms, select the following links:
As with the DE6 form: If you have 250 employees or more, you may not use this form, but must instead file electronically.
How does DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting fulfill these filings when using MAS 90 |MAS 200?
As mentioned, if you have more than 250 employees, you may not use the DE6 or DE9/DE9C forms for filing. Conversely, you may file electronically instead of using these forms, regardless of how many employees you have.
DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting is a MAS 90/200 enhancement that generates the file that can be sent to the EDD electronically. It can be purchased through your Sage Reseller. If you are a Sage Reseller, you may contact DSD directly to purchase at (858) 550-5900.
What format is the MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting in?
As of 2011, the California EDD allows for three (4) formats for Electronic filing:
• Comma-Delimited file (CSV)
• MMREF format
• ICESA format
• XML format (added in year 2011)
DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting is in the ICESA format.
According to the California EDD, all 4 formats will be allowed for the next few years. At some point, the MMREF and ICESA formats will be retired, and you will be required to submit in XML format. DSD is currently researching this format, and the MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting will be changed to this format in the next 18 months, before it is required by the EDD.
When uploading the electronic file, the EDD allows for the CSV and XML files to be uploaded as-is. For the ICESA and MMREF formats, the file must be zipped into a .zip file before uploading.
How do I setup an online account with the EDD?
Starting March 1, 2011, employers that submit Quarterly Unemployment Reporting electronically are required to enroll in e-Services for Business. To start this process, select the following link:
1. Select the e-Services for Business Login link
2. Select the Enroll for a username and password link
3. Enter the information on the e-Services for Business enrollment.
4. Continue through the enrollment process. Once you obtain a User Name and Password, you will then have the ability to upload your electronic file.
IMPORTANT: DSD recommends that you setup your EDD account IMMEDIATELY, as it may take a week or more to obtain your User Name and Password,
How do I generate the upload file using DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting?
The latest version of the User Manual for DSD’s MRCA California Quarterly Unemployment Reporting can be obtained by selecting the following link:
Please review this User Manual, as it explains how the UIWAGE file is created. Once you create your UIWAGE file, you can then zip the UIWAGE into a .zip file, and use the .zip file to upload.
To create a .zip file, typically, you can right-click on the UIWAGE file, and select “Send to” and then “Compressed (Zipped) Folder”. This will create a UIWAGE.ZIP in the same directory as UIWAGE. Again, the UIWAGE.ZIP is the file that you upload.
How do I upload the file to the EDD website?
1. Go to https://eddservices.edd.ca.gov/index.html
2. Select the eServices for Business Login link
3. After you login, a new screen will be displayed that has two sections. On the top section, it displays My Summary and on the bottom section, it displays My Accounts.
4. On the right side of the screen is the navigation “I Want to…” with some selections
5. IMPORTANT: Do NOT select an account from My Accounts, as it will display different ”I Want To” selections.
6. From the “I want to…” selection, select Attach a Return File
7. A new screen will be displayed that allows for you to enter information for the upload.
8. At the top of this screen, it will ask you for the Attachment Type.
9. Select DE9, ICESA, ZIP
10. Select the Browse Button to select the UIWAGE.ZIP that you generated from DSD’s MRCA enhancement.
11. Go to the Return File Upload section and complete the information on the screen.
On the following page, Appendix A, there is a screenshot of this Upload screen.
How do I contact the EDD for assistance?
There are many phone numbers on the EDD website that you can call, but the one that I used that got me directly to the proper person is: (800) 796-3524.